Monday 16 January 2012

Lily Late Arrivals



I planted a group of christmas lilies outside my kitchen window nearly 6 years ago and every year since then, without fail they have bloomed profusely just in time for christmas day.  This year, for the first time they were two weeks late!  However, they are easily forgiven, because as usual their display of fragrant white trumpets has been spectacular.  Even the little native solitary bees (look closely in the photo) have been enjoying their nectar.  I am planning to complete the front garden (currently a messy clay unfinished garden) this year and have plans for a mass planting of christmas lilies to frame a green rectangle of lawn. The intention is a purely white and silver garden with water feature, I have visions of Sissinghurst and Vita Sackville-West has been an inspiration for my garden as I visited there as a young landscape architect  and was inspired by the way she linked nature, gardening and poetry into one delightfully serene and comfortable landscape.  I like to think that the initial inspiration for her now famous white garden was derived from her love of nature and poetry, she loved walking at dusk and in darkness and was enchanted (as am I) by the luminescent quality that white flowers have at night.  Vita had a strong poetic vision of what the white garden would be, as she stated "I cannot help hoping that the great ghostly barn owl will sweep across a pale garden... in the twilight".  I may not have a ghostly white barn own to swoop over my moon (white) garden but the local Moreporks that call each night outside my window might oblige   - watch this space...



Vita's love of barn owls is reflected in this lovely poem...

Each dusk I saw, while those I loved the most
Chattered of present or of alient things.
The rhythmic owl returning like a ghost
Across the orchard cruising on wide wings.

She went, she came, she swooped, she sought the height
Where her young brood hid snoring for the mouse;
Tirelessly weaving on her silent flight
Between the laden branches and the house.


No comments:

Post a Comment