Monday 16 January 2012

Creation of Living Roof

The following images show the stages in creation of a living roof on my shepherds hut sleep out.  I implemented the living roof myself and it was remarkably easy to achieve following  Dusty Gedge Living Roof DIY Guide.  The result is a stunning vegetated roof which not only provides great insulation for the sleep-out, but is proving to be a popular insect habitat and I think it looks fantastic.  I am now keen to have a living roof on any and every roof at the farm that I can manage - i'm a total living roof convert!

Structural roof beams

Plywood base to roof

Layer of pond liner

Adding timber edging and bringing liner up edge

Thin drainage layer added (Versidrain) - retains some water 

Adding substrate and plants (mix of sedums and succulents)

Completed living roof

View across living roof

Shepherds hut with living roof (plants peeping over edge)

Self seeded native orchid

A great habitat for bees and other insects


No comments:

Post a Comment