Sunday 26 February 2012

A Plateful of Pink


I'm totally and utterly smitten with the Sedum 'autumn joy' I planted last year in my pink and yellow garden.  They are such wonderfully large clouds of gorgeous pink flower heads which then fade to autumnal rust and burgundy as the summer sun wanes.  As you can see from these photos, they are also an absolute feast of delight for insects, in particular the many bumblebees which frequent my garden.  They are the perfect landing pad for their heavy nectar laden bodies.  Count how many on just this one flower head...


I'm so impressed with the display that i'm re-thinking this whole garden bed, and will in autumn remove some of the existing planting and create a massed triptych of sedum, yellow flowered perennials and grasses.  I love the notion of a sea of pink sedum flowers floating amidst a sea of wavering grass dotted with yellow.


I first saw these sedums in New Zealand at the gorgeous Queenstown Airport planting (see photo below), designed by Blakely Wallace Associates Landscape Architects.  Nestled under the Remarkables the planting design at the airport is a wonderful example of how public plantings don't have to be boring or lacking in color and vibrancy.  The sedums, mixed in with native plants link beautifully to the rusty, sunlit slopes of the Remarkables and inspired me to try the sedums in my own garden.


No comments:

Post a Comment