Saturday 27 September 2014

A Garden Close Up


A generous lend of a macro lens from Jack Hobbs at the Auckland Botanic Gardens for my trip to the rainforests of Borneo has ensured a new addition to the ‘must have’ list for Christmas.

On return home from Malaysia where the focus of the lens was on miniature fungi hidden in the leaf litter and bizarre invertebrates (see below) I played around in my autumn garden – oh what a delight there is in seeing things from the perspective of a bee. 


It reminds me of the wise advice of an elderly gardener I used to visit as an 11 year old.  She had a large rambling garden full of roses and bulbs and some very sweet bantams (of whose eggs I always went home with).  Over a glass of lemonade and a biscuit, she would tell me to “always remember every day and all the tiny details of things – as one day I would wake and be her age (70+) with a wish to have spent more time observing and noticing the ‘beauty in little things’…










No comments:

Post a Comment